Mindfulness for Everyday Life
April 12th to May 31st (8 consecutive Wednesdays + 1 Saturday for the "Retreat Day"*)
Time: 6:00 - 8:30pm PST
Cost: $100 - $290 (sliding scale)
Center for Community, Art, & Spirituality
Saturday, May 20th
9:00am - 4:00pm PST
What others have said...
"As a military Veteran, I was never formally introduced to meditation as a method of self care. Since taking Mr. Rongcal's Mindfulness course, I was able to pause, reflect, and be mindful of some of the behaviors contributing to my everyday stressors and burdens. I have learned to love myself and be forgiving, and I've been more productive and positive--I'm grateful for the opportunity with RJ and I'll always remember to live in the present!"
- Rochelle N. (Mountlake Terrace, WA)
What is MBSR?
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (or MBSR) was founded in 1979 by professor of medicine and author, Jon Kabat-Zinn, PH.D. His lucid teachings on mindfulness and meditation through his talks, books, and his now "gold standard" MBSR course have made him a key figure in the continuing "mindfulness movement" in the West.
This 8-week course includes:
* Learning about stress reactivity and how mindfulness helps with stress
* Learning how to apply mindfulness to everyday situations like communication
* Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
* Body awareness practices including the body scan and gentle mindful movement
* Group dialogue and small group exercises
* Weekly handouts with short readings, exercises, summaries of each class, and resources to support your ongoing investigation of mindfulness
* Eight 2.5 hour classes
* One 7-hour "Day of Mindfulness"Retreat
Further, this course includes interactive lessons on mindfulness, sitting and walking meditation, gentle yoga/mindful-movement, and small/whole group discussion. Between sessions, participants are invited to continue practicing mindfulness on their own with the support of guided meditation recordings, follow-up emails, and practice handouts.
What others have said...
"RJ has a warm and inviting way of sharing the fruits of Mindfulness practice."
- anonymous class participant
"R.J is an amazing meditation teacher! I totally recommend his classes on MBSR.
He’s so knowledgeable and has so much to share that I would want to do an ongoing class to go further and explore more into the fields of meditation.
also loved his guided meditation, it feels very good to let him guide me into a meditative state. He’s my favorite.
I will definitely take his MBSR class again."
- Paula S. (Seattle, WA)
7 minute intro to MBSR from the founder, Jon Kabat-Zinn, and other prominent mindfulness teachers.
To receive the most benefit from MBSR, time for practice and study must be prioritized. This includes committing to:
- 8 weekly class sessions of 2.5 hours
- 1 retreat day of roughly 7 hours*
- 30-45 minutes of daily practice at home during the entire course
Audio recordings of guided meditations, 45-page course manual with supplemental readings, online video links, "How- to" handouts, and more.
* If you are unsure whether or not you'll be able to attend all 8 sessions and/or the retreat day please email me at email@example.com
If you are still wanting to learn more about MBSR to see if this course is for you, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I am also available for a free "clarity call" if that would work better for you.
Disclaimer: MBSR is not for everyone. If you one or more of the following describe your current circumstance, a longer course such as MBSR may not be for you:
Serious psychological challenges like schizophrenia or psychosis not responsive to medication
Depression with thoughts of suicide
Recently in recovery
Recently lost a close loved one
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), or have recently experienced significant trauma.
If you're unsure about registering for MBSR, please contact me, and we can discuss whether or not the timing is right for you.